Thursday, March 3, 2011

Music Suggestion Day!

I'm gonna try to do this every week on Wednesday. That's not going to be entirely reliable (observe that I'm writing this on a Thursday), but I'll do what I can. I will try to include something that is new to me, an old favourite, something Canadian, and a few other treats that I think are of note at that time. Because there is no really splendid way of getting these to your tasty little ears, I'm going to embed Youtube vids for all of them so that you can listen straight from the page.

Here we go!

New to me: Upside Down by Paloma Faith
I had actually been introduced to this chickie by a friend of mine a while ago, but she didn't really catch my fancy at the time. This song, however, I found on my wee sister's iTunes and it's so darn catchy that I couldn't resist it. Her voice is a bit tokenly weird, but I like the artistry a lot.


Old Fave: Baba O'Riley by The Who
There's nothing in all the world that rocks quite like this song. The construction of the music alone is a marvel. The sentiment behind the words is what always makes me smile, though. Don't worry, it's only teenage wasteland :)


Canadians: Political by Spirit of the West
This could just have easily been in the "New to me" category, because I just heard it this morning on CBC radio 2 (three cheers!). I was caught off guard by it. I was expecting twangy horrible Canadian country-ness, but this is what I got. It's a sort of British/Canadian/folk kind of mixture, and I like the story. Also, this man is reassuringly good at singing!


Stuff I just plain like: Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
This song is just everlastingly catchy. If it doesn't make you wriggle with dancy-ness, then I'm afraid you're a robot. Simple. I was going to post the music video but then it sucked, hah.


White Knuckles by Ok Go
This is a weird little walnut here. On one hand, Ok Go has never made anything of lasting musical notice. On the other hand, they aren't abominable, and their music videos are 100% entertaining 100% of the time. They trapped me on Youtube for a day just watching and re-watching their music videos. This one is the cutest, but I don't know about the best.


My Girl Bill by Jim Stafford
I could really do a whole separate section for musical comedy. I've always loved songs that make me smile or laugh and this man is truly awesome at what he does. I know, however, that it's not everyone's cup of tea. The video makes the whole thing a bit awkward, IMO. Some other comic musicians that I especially like include Ray Stevens, Flight of the Conchords, and Tom Lehrer.


Ok so I'm going to go to bed now. All that music hunting has made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment