Friday, March 18, 2011

Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire

I shook hands with him this evening. It's one of my favourite days of my life.

He was speaking a the University of Waterloo on the future of humanity and the social and political challenges that our generation faces.

It makes me love Africa again to hear him speak. There was one slide he put up of the Ntarama Church Genocide Memorial (if you want to be sad, Google images that) and it brought back this rush of sadness and desperation and conviction that I had when I was standing there looking at the rows and rows of lives destroyed by hate. It was a mix of nausea and heartache, and suddenly I want to try again. I want to help. I want to love people.

The things I do with my life can matter. Finally, something that is not meaningless.

The Lieutenant-General has beautiful eyes, too.

I will fall asleep thinking about Ntarama tonight, and that is a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment