Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Screw you, George Clooney.
Screw your miraculous talent and silvery foxyness and your sincerity.

I cannot abide the fact that Sudan has been in a state of turmoil for years, and people will only notice when Mr Clooney goes there and says that yah, it's bad, we should do something.

Screw you, George Clooney, for your effectiveness. People should love people without your endorsement.

I still think you're a magnificent actor. Maybe that's why you can tell us what to do so well. You've devoted your life to the embodiment of other characters. You're sitting there, the incarnation of gravity and commitment and compassion and dignity, and telling us that something must be done to help the oppressed in Sudan. What greater compulsion could there be?

I suppose it makes sense, our culture being so aesthetically and emotionally motivated. But I won't recant. I do not enjoy being tricked, because I know it's a trick and I know I'll fall for it every time.

Screw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment