Thursday, August 20, 2009

Believing Something

I'm always impressed by people who believe stuff. Someone who can say without any doubts that they stand for a cause or against something specific make me wish I wasn't so generally apathetic (I'm like a plankton in that respect).

Here is why I thought of this:
"Albania 1982: under the Communist dictator Enver Hoxha, Albania held elections in which all adults were entitled to vote. However, they were only allowed to vote for or against the Communist nominee, no other candidates being allowed. Furthermore, the ballot was not secret. Only one voter voted 'no', giving a 99.99999% majority."
-BBC Knowledge Magazine

The point the magazine was trying to make was about how decisive the election vote was (highest support in history) but that doesn't matter much to me. I want to shake that person's hand. And give them a hug and a million dollars. It's likely that they died, because that specific dictator, although he advanced the literacy and health systems of the country, was also know for injustice to individuals. I'm guessing everyone else who didn't want to vote yes just didn't vote. One person went out and said. "I don't care that you'll kill me and that you know who I am and where I live. I think you're wrong and I'm going to say so."
Can you imagine that news broadcast? After that person voted no, they would have had to find out that they were the only one.

I think that's spectacular. And I heard cool new music today on CBC Radio 2. Here!

1 comment:

  1. I like that music :)
    That poor guy, you would almost hope that the media would pump him up or something, and then other non-communist countries would be outraged if the guy was killed (But, of course, not do anything because that's our way).
    Did they say what happened to the guy?

    ReplyDelete