Sunday, May 3, 2009

A lovely little story

I overheard this evening from my brother how he met his girlfriend. (The awesome one with the baby, not the Evil Bible School Chick). I thought you might like to hear it because it made me happy.

He was just leaving Vancouver. He had walked around the city with no sleep for the past 3 days, and had managed to hitchhike to a place on the highway where the road split and he was on the side that was going the wrong direction. It joined up with its other half about 7km down the road so he walked out there. There was a little town just ahead called Hope, BC. He saw a girl on the other side of the road trying to hitch a ride. A car stopped, but from what he could tell the person was going the wrong way because the girl stepped away and continued to walk down the road in the direction he had just come from. Knowing that the 7km stretch where it was impossible to get a ride was coming up, he caught up with her on the edge of town and apparently suggested they travel together. After about 2 hours of walking they managed to catch a truck going the right way and my brother got in the back seat and the girl was in the front. Within a half hour he was asleep. I'm guessing that was pretty weird for the driver and Monique because he wasn't connected with her in any way. He had been awake for 3 or so days hanging out with homeless people though, so give him a break. Anyway, it turned out her car had just broken down. They got back to it somehow and drove the rest of the way out to Ontario in it. And then they were here, and Monique got pregnant, and the baby's middle name is Hope, because that's where they met.

Cute eh? The part where my brother was hanging out in Vancouver with homeless people was pretty interesting too. He says that homeless people give the best tours of cities. I'll keep that in mind when I travel, actually. I may have to take anti-mugging precautions though.

I liked lying in the dark on my couch (headache avoidance tactic) and listening to my brother tell his stories. It was relaxing but it makes me seem so flaky. I need to live a less posh life, but I have my horse and my schooling to worry about.

Anyhow, I thought the story was cute. They're heading out across Canada to Vancouver, and from Vancouver to San Diego, and from there to Melbourne, Australia. I want to go visit them in November or so if they're settled there and all that. If I have $...

2 comments:

  1. TAKE A LOOK AT THIS QUITE GRAPHIC AND EXPLICIT ABOUT THE DTES OF VANCOUVER
    editor@2010homelesschampions/ca 1000photo's over 30 video's
    This website is dedicated to telling the stories of the unfortunate individuals living in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver in the hope that awareness of this problem will spur people to get involved, to let all levels of government know that something has to be done to alleviate this misery rooted in addiction, homelessness and depravity. To point the way to recovery from addiction, which we believe is the root of most of this situation. With the 2010 Olympics coming to Vancouver it is our mandate to record the transition and the extreme changes that are even now occurring and will continue to unfold in the Downtown Eastside

    ReplyDelete
  2. *WOULD LIKE TO ADD*
    I found out today that my brother passed out when Monique told him she was pregnant. lol!

    ReplyDelete